Based in the Somerset Region, Play'N'up have been bringing good music to pubs, community events, car shows, dance halls, corporate, wedding and other events both within and outside of this region, in the band’s current form since 2011. Our individual members have many years of other band experience behind them, and this wealth of expertise means a professional and powerful performance every time. The band is proud of their extensive repertoire (over 700 songs) and their ability to not only put together a great set list (guided by your requirements) prior to your event, but also to read the crowd and tailor where necessary to ensure the perfect ‘next song’ is picked to make your event a truly memorable experience.
We cover a wide range of genres and can take you on a journey from smooth jazz, easy listening or dinner music through to dance music. We also cover an extensive range, not only of popular pub dance music or Country Rock, but can also do an evening of Old Time/New Vogue sequence dancing, or even Bush or Linedancing if required.
Our band features some very talented musicians, with many combined years of local, national and international experience, and we have a range of configurations to suit all events and occasions, from a duo up to 5-6 performers. We play regularly for both small, private intimate receptions up to larger events with over 100 guests, or even larger outdoor events such as classic car shows with over 2,000 attendees. We can provide background music for a quiet and sophisticated event, or music that will have your guests dancing into the wee hours. We don’t just play, we entertain.
Several of our members also have years of event management expertise and we pride ourselves on attention to detail, reliability, flexibility and providing a memorable performance every time.
We can offer:
- Duo, Trio, four, five or six-piece band
- We cater to many styles - pop, rock, country, jazz to old time and singalong.
- Professional PA and lighting
- Break music between each set designed for your specific function, to keep your party going.
- Wireless microphone for speeches if requested.
- A specific song that you can choose for the band to learn (eg. First Dance)
- Either let us choose set lists tailored to the type of event you are planning, or we can also use our extensive song list and work with you to tailor the music that you want to hear at your event.
Our standard band line-ups:
- Duo features: Lead Guitar, Bass Guitar with Percussion and both on Lead and backing Vocals “Two for the Road”
- Trio features: Drums, Lead Guitar, Bass Guitar with Percussion and both guitarists on Lead and backing Vocals.
- Other members brought in as required for “Play’N’up”: Additional Guitar/Bass, Keyboard and backing vocals.
Tony Ayling - Guitar / Vocalist
Tony began his career in the 70s UK folk clubs along side many a well known singer like Ralph McTell and Peter Sarstedt. Changing musical styles to enter music professionally he moved up to grander venues in London bars, clubs and hotel, if you travelled to Heathrow during the 70s and 80s you will no doubt have seen Tony appearing at some of the major airport hotels.
As well as being a popular solo artist Tony was also half of the popular UK duo Two for the Road appearing across the UK and Europe. He has also played with numerous bands in Munich Germany where he also operated a successful recording studio and record label amongst some of the worlds most famous artistes and bands.
Returning to the UK in the eighties Tony continued his career in the tourist and holiday area of Devon where he entertained at venues all year round with audiences ranging from kids to retirees.
Tony can entertain any audience large or small and is happy performing at private garden parties right through to large stage shows and concert. His language skills allow him to be a good communicator around the world including China where he has performed in a Shanghai Nightclub, Fijian Resorts, Acapulco Mexico, across Europe and of course in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Now based near Esk QLD, Tony has reformed Two for the Road with his partner Kaye and is performing across SE Qld and is available for one nighters, residencies, seasons and corporate functions. For larger functions Tony and Kaye are joined by Graeme Lehmann together making the Play'N'Up dance band.
Tony is also responsible for producing the backing tracks bringing unique sounds to their performances.